Wisconsin Economic Development Institute Update: Economic Development News and Notes
Information you can use:
- As Wisconsin tries to lure young adults, how do certain communities succeed? “It was always about proximity to cities, and about housing, schools and outdoor amenities.”
- Economic Development Incentive Programs for Worker Training – A list of 50 programs used by different states for worker training.
- U.S. Cluster Mapping website – A national initiative permitting an examination of data by cluster, region and community.
Economic Development News:
- Social Media Use in 2018 – From the Pew Center: “A majority of Americans use Facebook and YouTube, but young adults are especially heavy users of Snapchat and Instagram.”
- Building Trust: Performance Metrics in Counties – From the National Association of Counties, this report explores a variety of ways in which counties are tracking performance and using performance metrics to improve services for residents.
- Follow the Money: How to Track Federal Funding to Local Governments – This guide helps data users navigate the patchwork of primary data sources and online portals that show how the federal government distributes funding to local governments.
- Small Businesses Perceive Lack of Support – The latest Kaufmann Foundation survey found entrepreneurs at both startups and established firms feel the government does not care about their businesses and that the government does not support small, local businesses. This potentially represents a great opportunity for local ED’ers to demonstrate support.