WEDA offers a variety of professional development, educational and recognition events every year, including two annual conferences that draw hundreds of individuals for certifications, continuing education, workshops, and networking opportunities. WEDA’s annual events include:
- Governor’s Conference on Economic Development
- WEDA’s biggest education and networking event of the year is the Governor’s Conference on Economic Development will return to an in-person event in early 2022. The three-day conference includes educational sessions covering the most important economic development topics and issues of the day; exhibits; receptions; and other networking opportunities. The conference provides continuing education credits for EDFP, CEcD and AICP certifications.
- WEDA Best Practices Conference
- Each Fall, WEDA holds a best practices conference at a new and exciting location. This year we will be in beautiful downtown Appleton so be sure to save these dates: September 29th – October 1st. Master current best practices in business expansion and retention, exporting, domestic and foreign direct investment attraction, downtown development, redevelopment and reuse, entrepreneurship, alternative financing including CRA project capital stacking, workforce attraction, training and retention and workforce housing. WEDA will also provide updates on our state budget, financial and technical assistance tools and federal stimulus programs. WEDA conferences give economic development professionals tremendous networking as well. The Best Practices Conference places attendees in front of dynamic speakers and industry thought leaders while also providing continuing education credits for EDFP, CEcD and AICP certifications.
- Community and Economic Development Awards
- Each year, economic development professionals and businesses from across the state gather in Wisconsin’s capital city for an evening to celebrate exceptional projects and programs that drive economic growth. The Community and Economic Development Awards (CEDA) program recognizes economic development best practices and businesses and organizations that are making significant contributions to Wisconsin’s economy.
- Basic Economic Development Course
- The Basic Economic Development Course is designed to provide an understanding of the basic concepts, theories, methods and practice of economic development. Graduation from the Basic Development Course fulfills one of the prerequisites for those who wish to pursue the Certified Economic Developer Designation (CEcD) through the IEDC.
- WEDA Legislative Day
- This exciting event gives WEDA members a unique opportunity to influence critical economic development policy in Wisconsin. WEDA’s Legislative Day brings economic development professionals from across the state together in Madison to build relationships with state lawmakers and educate them on key economic development policy issues that drive business growth and job creation in Wisconsin.